What started out as nothing more than an annoying cold, a slight tingle in my throat, turned into a throat infection on Tuesday. Boo! I was completely incapacitated and my team had to work without me. The decisions they made for the game were great though: including the decision to scrap our code from last week and start over, and our artist Christopher Cherrington had the great idea of having Luigi fail to save Pauline and now she has to save him!
Man I missed a lot that day: the decision of the professors to make this a three week project instead of four (so we won’t have to work over fall break), C++ class, feeling well… I really missed feeling healthy.
I was worried I was letting my team down, especially with the starting over bit, but when I talked to my producer James he reassured me that he knew I was a great engineer and that I didn’t have anything to prove. If we didn’t have a first playable by end of day Thursday, he said, “it will be because I didn’t organize the project right, not because of you.” James is going to be a great game producer.
Thursday was quite a push since we no longer had a first playable prototype. So while other teams were working on implementing new features, we were working on getting back to where we were with our other code, only better and without the bugs. I know one other team had to do the same. So at least we weren’t the only ones. I got a lot of our new code merged and we’re really close to the first playable being done. We had a design meeting and talked about other things we’d love to add to the game. With the decision to add Luigi I had a couple ideas to add: using Luigi as a parachute, throwing him at the barrels to destroy them, and even using him to douse a fire. 🙂
I asked Christopher to make me some of the sprites for the Luigi ideas, and they’re awesome. I love our game.
…(Note to Nancy/Self: insert Christopher’s sprites!!)…
The pressure is on now, with the subtraction of a week for the project, we have only ONE work period left before it is due and we still need better barrel and fire obstacles, collision, and the Luigi code written. I might go cRaZY because we have so much left to do on the project, plus we have four+ hours of reading and quizzes on IP (Intellectual Property) due on Tuesday for Rapid Prototyping, in Game Design 1 my group is presenting and there’s lots of videos and research that I still need to do along with the regular critical reading assignment, and of course my C++ for Game Devs assignment. So, for me at least, everything is due next week before fall break, and I am currently lying in bed. Yikes! Going to be a long weekend. Hopefully I’ll stop coughing and hacking long enough to finish it all. Well, they don’t call it “Masters” for nothing! Wish me luck!
Lastly, I just have to say, my fellow classmates are THE BOMB! I had so many people reach out to me with concern and support. One of my friends even took exceptionally great notes just for me without me even asking, just because he knew I’d need them. I absolutely love my cohort. Couldn’t ask for better people: creative, intelligent, FUN, hard working, supportive, TALENTED, and caring. I’m excited to get to work with them for a very, very long time to come.
Iterating on the signature my professor Roger uses when he sends stuff from his iphone:
Please forgive spelling errors or stuff that doesn’t make sense. I am sick. Unless it’s funny! I did that on purpose. 😉